Saturday, August 13, 2011

Christian Fiction Book Club - Digitalis by Ronie Kendig

EdgyInspirationalRomance


The selection for this month’s Christian Fiction Book Club read is Digitalis (Discarded Heroes, Book 2)by Ronie Kendig. The host is Jules over at My Own Little Corner of the World. Check out the other blogs and look at the discussion questions found here.

Digitalis is about the secrets we keep and how those secrets affect those we love. Colton (Cowboy) Neeley is an ex-marine whose life is shattered because of what he’s seen in war. He’s attempting to start over in the secretive black ops group Nightshade. Piper Blum has secrets of her own that if discovered could destroy her family and the tumultuous country she used to call home. They meet and sparks fly, but the resulting fire is deadly.

I really liked this book. It’s very action packed and thrilling. Military details don’t particularly interest me, but relationships do because that’s what I can identify with. The dynamics of the relationships in this book are intriguing, but I did get frustrated with Colton’s character because even his trying to protect other people was pretty self-centered. But that’s something we all struggle with isn’t it?

All in all it was a good book and I read it pretty quickly on my vacation. It brings to light a lot of what our soldiers struggle with and gets you thinking. I’d recommend it.

Discussion Questions:

5. Although Colton is a Christian and seeks to live his life for God, he struggles and wonders why God hasn’t healed him of the flashbacks. Does anything about Colton resonate with you or your life?
I heard something this past week at Lifeway’s College Week at the Glorieta Conference Center that really stuck with me. If you don’t understand that God gave you everything you need through Jesus Christ, if you think God is holding out on you, you can become bitter. When I start to think that my life should be easy because I’m a Christian, I misunderstand the gospel. It’s so easy to think God should take away any suffering we have just because He can, but we can’t see the big picture. It’s like allowing you to watch 1 second of a movie and then ask you what the movie’s about and how it will end. It takes an enormous amount of faith to trust that God has your best interests at heart, but understanding who He is and that He is always faithful is crucial to get that.

The next book for the book club is The Preacher's Bride by Jody Hedlund on September 24.

A special thanks to The Book Club Network and Ronie Kendig for giving me the copy I read for this review. I love giveaways, don't you!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Kacie! I almost chose this question to answer, but ended up going with another. Great answer. And SO true!!

    It's so hard for us to blindly trust. Something about us screams against putting trust in something we can't see. But we have to. We can't see the big picture, as you said. Only God can.

    And just because we are Christian's doesn't mean we will have sunny sailing our whole life. In fact, often times the path of a Christian is ten times harder. (I always think of Pilgrim's Progress and the Narrow Path) Because we stand in the light, Satan wants to overthrow us with darkness. So we must fight the good fight of Faith every day. It's never easy.

    Okay, that got a little lengthy...but the discussion questions were awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If you don’t understand that God gave you everything you need through Jesus Christ, if you think God is holding out on you, you can become bitter."

    Such great words of wisdom, Kacie! Thanks for sharing them. And thanks for visiting me at Doorkeeper. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Renee, GREAT words of wisdom Kacie! Thanks for your review and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow great insight on the root of bitterness. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! Great words to remind us of how important faith really is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey thanks for spelling insight JOY! I knew when I posted it on a couple of comments that it didn't look right the way I was spelling it...I guess I could have "incited" a few arguments with my spelling! LOL!

    ReplyDelete