Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Soup, Blankets, and Sequins

So, not a lot has happened since I last posted. I did get my application to the University of Louisville mailed off so now I'm just waiting for ETS to send them my GRE scores. So, things are going pretty well on that front. Now I just get to wait. Joy. 

Thanks to everyone who bought some books from us. Every little bit helps. We took a big load to the library to donate, but we still have quite a few left if anyone is still interested. We are going to try to get rid of all of them in the next few weeks though, one way or another. Last weekend I worked on the spare bedroom. My favorite part was that mine and Lee's costumes from camp were in the spare bedroom so I got to go through those. I donated most of it, but Lee HAD to keep his mullet hat and he told my I HAD to keep my sequined shirt. Well, I guess I wasn't too hard to convince on that one. All in all I had two bags of trash and one bag for donation come out of that room. Not too bad!

I think the next step is the closet in the spare bedroom, but I'm not sure I'll get to it this weekend. The ladies at our church are working on making cut and tie blankets for Loving Choices which is a crisis pregnancy center. We've done this a few times before and it's been a lot of fun, and it goes to a great cause. Here's the fabric I bought to make the baby blanket. Cute right?! If anyone is interested in helping with this you can either get some fleece fabric to drop off at FBC Fayetteville or give to me by Saturday (1 to 1.5 yrds and I believe all the major fabric stores in Fayetteville are having a sale on fleece; for reference mine were a total of $13 for 1 yrd each), or you can give me some money and I'll go pick out the fabric for you. If you can't give, just pray for the young ladies these will be going to and their babies.

Fleece fabric for baby blankets!
 I also wanted to share this recipe for Tortellini and White Bean Soup that I tried tonight. I got it from All You magazine. On Wednesdays I'm home by myself so I've been making things that I can have for lunch for a few days. Soup is so good for that. I followed the recipe mostly except I didn't have celery and I didn't have quite enough broth so I just used a bit of water instead. The soup was pretty good although I feel like there were too many tomatoes (although these might have been balanced out by the missing celery) and I accidentally bought tortelloni instead of tortellini so they were pretty big. Other than that, pretty great. We'll see how the pasta does when it's reheated. You should definitely give it a try though. Even buying pre-packaged tortelloni it came out to a little over $2 per serving!

Tortellini and White Bean Soup

What about you? Been doing any decluttering lately or have you tried any good new recipes? 

1 comment:

  1. Kacie - I just read your comment on MSM website about someone coming into your home to help you with grocery-shopping and planning. I live a LONG ways away from you so I can't come into your home, but I AM willing to help you! (via email or phone call). Saving money on groceries and cooking around sale ingredients are 2 of my favorite topics...I actually have a blog about it. Also, my SIL is the same as you...wants to learn the tricks but doesn't know where to start....so I have helped her out with recipes and tips many times. OK I know this might sound weird, but I really would love to help you. Email me at dblisamarie@gmail.com...list your questions, and maybe give me some background on how much you know now, etc. (as in, do you clip coupons, shop sales, etc).
    If you don't contact me that is fine I won't be offended!

    ReplyDelete