Friday, May 20, 2011

Halfway There

We gave Hero a haircut over the last few days.  I say the last few days because he did not enjoy it and wouldn’t sit still so we spread it out.  Let me say, he looked kind of funny with the back half of him cut short and the front half still had his “Farrah hair.”

Half of Hero's summer haircut (sorry, not the best picture)

That got me thinking as to how I live life like that sometimes.  Not half shaved, but half in it.  I don’t put my whole effort in to something, just enough to get by (and sometimes not even that much).  I do it with a lot of things, but I often do it in how I interact with God.

I often think I’ve had my quiet time today, why do I need to pray some more.
I think I’ve been at church twice already this week, why should I go again.
I think I like how this worship song sounds, but I don’t really need to mean what the words are saying.

I try to tell myself that I’ve done enough.  I do more than what most people do, and that should count for something right.  It reminds me of the story of the poor widow’s mite, except with my time and my heart, not just my money. 

I “put in out of [my] surplus” instead of “all [I] own.”  I give God my leftovers.  I get proud of what I do give when God really wants all of me.  All of me may not be that pretty, but God uses us, flaws and all.


P.S. Notice I changed the layout of my blog.  Feel free to take a look around.

No comments:

Post a Comment